Job Openning for post of Management Accountant
Kumi Hospital was established in 1929 by the Church Missionary Society and is now a Private not for Profit(PNFP) facility. Kumi Hospital is seeking to recruit a Hospital Chief Management Accountant (HCMA) to take over the senior accountancy role and to be fully responsible for all hospital accountancy and cash management functions. The HCMA reports to the Hospital Administrator who reports to the Medical Director.
The specific responsiblities include the following:-
Supervise the accounts department and the cash office and be responsible for all of their activities.
- Ensure that the accounts department keeps fully up to date and legal computerised accounts and that the statutory accounts, following the audit, are issued within the first quarter of the financial year.
- Issue detailed and accurate monthly management accounts by the 15th of the following month including Income & Expenditure on an accrual basis, Balance Sheet and Cashflow Forecast and the associated non-financial measures and statistics.
- Take a lead in seeking to improve the quality and relevance of the management information that is available to the different levels of staff.
- Ensure that all accounts and ledgers are fully reconciled and signed off by the SHA at the end of each month.
- Overall cash management and ensuring that the hospital has sufficient cash to meet its financial obligations, especially our policy of always paying salaries on time at the end of the month. Take the lead in reducing our long term liabilities.
- Manage payroll and the associated NSSF and PAYE payments.
- Actively manage credit control and ensure that all of our ongoing debtors are under 2% of our annual turnover.
- Manage the MedicAudit billing, debtors, and stores system, including reconciliation with the ledgers, ongoing implementation of the stores sub-system, ongoing training of cashiers, and continual improvement of the information available to management
- Produce and keep up to date the hospital cost model and fully understand the relationship between income and expenditure for each department and section and the associated surpluses and deficits.
- Compile and issue the associated charge rates (eg for operations) and ensure that all charge rates give an adequate financial or marketing return, whilst remaining consistent with market rates and with patient perceptions of value for money.
- Produce the annual budget on a departmental cost centre basis and assist with the allocation of any departmental surpluses to those departments which need a subsidy to cover their deficit, based on the hospital’s vision and values.
- Take a lead to applying for new contracts and projects and take responsibility for the associated budgets and cashflows. If required write the new project proposals.
- Take a lead with the capital building, refurbishment and medical equipment projects. Around 30% of the hospital needs to be refurbished and needs new medical equipment. The hospital has plans for a new medical ward and a new Nursing & Midwifery Training School.
- Manage the client relationship and the budgets for all existing contracts and projects. Manage the Tied Funds and ensure that the funds are always in balance and accounted for. Write the ongoing project reports.
- Take a lead in establishing efficient modern administration and accounting practices. Ongoing training of all accounting staff.
- Ensure the financial propriety of all hospital managers and staff and take a lead to ensure that all and any corruption is totally eliminated from the hospital.
- Provide the management information to any and all of the (26) departmental and section in charges including their income (fee, contracts and grants) and the associated expenditure (salaries, drugs and overheads). Interpret the financial information for them and hence assist them to better manage their departments and sections.
- Be an active member of the Senior Hospital Management Team and present the management accounts and the budgets to the Board of Governors.
- Liaise with the Board of Governors and ensure that the hospital operates within the legal and constitutional framework.
- Be actively involved in reducing the cost of all purchased items and ensuring financial propriety in all our purchasing activities.
- Actively assist with the ongoing computerisation of the hospital and understand that the finance department is there to provide full and accurate information to the management and the in charges.
Core competencies of the Hospital Chief Management Accountant
The HCMA position would suit someone, male or female, who has reached an equivalent senior accountancy position either in a hospital or an NGO. A post graduate qualification (eg CIMA membership) in Management Accountancy would be an advantage. The prospective HCMA will need to demonstrate that they have the attitude and competence to be a leading member of the hospital senior management team, and capable of taking Kumi Hospital forward.
The core competencies of the Hospital Chief Management Accountant include the following.
- Kumi Hospital is a Christian hospital and the HCMA position would suit a practicing Christian.
- An honest attitude and a zero tolerance to corruption.
- Good communicator. Good spoken and written English. A good knowledge of the local language, Ateso, would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to manage an accountancy department and a record of achievement and growth in a senior management position.
- Able to work as part of the Senior Management Team and to be able to manage and motivate staff who report to them, in a hospital and healthcare environment.
- A caring but firm attitude for the poor and the needy in a healthcare environment. Over 70% of the local population are on under 4,000 UGX per day per person.
- Financial instincts, financial controls including income and expenditure, balance sheet, and cash management.
- Commercial instincts and the ability to raise finance from grants and contracts.
- Able to control costs such that the hospital makes a surplus each year.
- Able to maintain discipline and order while also being able to motivate staff to give an excellent performance.
- Able to make things happen and to take responsibility.
Please send us your Resume with three copies of your certified Educational documents addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager
Kumi Hospital Ongino
P.O.box 9 Kumi Uganda
Or send by Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 19th August 2015